- 1 To 2 T Safflower oil, as necessary
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced or put through a press
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Leek, white part only, cleaned and sliced
- 2 c Split peas, washed
- 6 c Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tb Butter
- 6 sl Whole Wheat Bread, cut in -cubes
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced or put through a press
Heat safflower oil and saute onions and garlic until onion is tender Add carrots and leeks, saute a few more minutes and add split peas,
water, bay leaf, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, or until peas are
tender. Remove bay leaf.
Puree half the soup in a blender or through a food mill and return to pot. Adjust seasonings.
Heat butter in a pan and add garlic and bread cubes. Saute until cubes are golden (this can be done in advance). Remove from heat.
Heat soup through and serve, topping each bowl with a generous handful of croutons. This freezes well.